Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Can't find a particular product at your liquor store?

Did you know that you can special order virtually any item that is not normally carried in the OLCC's product line? As long as it is available from a source in the U.S., we can probably get it.

You can go to any liquor store to place your special order. The store will write up your request, and submit it to the OLCC for processing. Your order is then placed to the distillery. The distiller will ship your order to OLCC's warehouse, where it will be transferred to the liquor store. The liquor store will notify you when your items arrive. Special orders generally take about six to eight weeks.

One thing to note - you must buy this item by the case. This is necessary since suppliers will not ship in less than whole case quantities.

Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Can I see your ID, please?

From time to time, we receive questions on whether the OLCC requires anyone buying or being served alcohol to have a valid ID on them.

The OLCC requires licensees to check ID of anyone who reasonably appears 26 years old or younger.

An establishment might have a restriction on their liquor license due to a history of serving alcohol to minors or allowing minors in prohibited areas. In this case, it could be that a licensed business is required to check the ID of every person entering the establishment or being sold/served alcoholic beverages.

Or, a business can choose to have a stricter ID policy than what the state requires.

If you’re at a restaurant with your underage friend or relative, you might not be served - even if you have the ID to show you’re of age. Some businesses will refuse service if they suspect that you might furnish the alcoholic beverage to a minor at your table.

Current accepted forms of ID include a valid state driver license with a photo; a valid DMV ID card with photo, name, date of birth & physical description from any state; a valid passport or a valid U.S. military ID card.

If you don’t have your ID on you, the business may allow you to fill out a Statement of Age card. In order to do this, you must have at least two forms of identification on you. One with your name, address, date of birth, signature and physical description or photo. The second piece of ID must be able to verify the identity of the first piece. If it is still unclear if you are over 21 years of age, you will be refused service of alcoholic beverages.