by Joy Spencer
Ninety percent of July 4th parties include setting off fireworks and celebrating with alcohol. Alcohol consumption can increase the risk of injury and make adults less able to supervise children properly during the festivities.
- Have non-alcoholic beverage options available.
- Keep the alcohol consumption under control by designating a bartender to mix the drinks.
- Never serve anyone underage.
- Never drink alcohol if you are setting off fireworks.
- Nominate people who are not drinking alcohol to take charge of fireworks displays.
- Keep guests who are drinking alcohol well away from fireworks.
- Consider limiting the availability of alcohol until after the fireworks display.
- Do not carry fireworks in your pocket to street parties or celebrations.
- Whenever you plan on using alcohol, designate your sober driver before going out and give that person your keys.
- Use alternative transportation like taxi cabs or public transit to get to and from an event.
- Promptly report drunk drivers you see on the roadways to law enforcement.
- Wearing your safety belt or using protective gear on your motorcycle is your best defense against an impaired driver.
- NEVER allow an impaired friend or guest to get behind the wheel.
- Step up and offer to call your friend a cab, let them sleep it off or find a sober friend to give them a ride.